If your dog’s bad breath concerns you, there is no need to worry, this is something that can be prevented. Today you are going to find out everything you need to know about Halitosis (bad breath) and the best ways to prevent your dog’s bad breath.
Why do dogs get bad breath?
If bad breath occurs occasionally the cause of it is probably dental or even gum disease. It is also possible that your dog has plaque and tartar and usually it happens to small dogs. There are cases when this smell is persistent and it can mean that your dog needs dental care or there are problems with his liver, kidneys or gastrointestinal tract. You should be especially alarmed if the breath smells like fruit or urine.
How to prevent your dog from having bad breath?
You should definitely know that bad breath is not a normal thing that you shouldn’t care about, you need to either prevent it or cure it. That is why we have a list of things that will help you in preventing your dog’s bad breath.
- Regular visits to the vet. You need to make sure that you take your dog to the vet regularly, in order to prevent medical issues that can cause bad breath. Remind your vet to take special care of the dog’s teeth and breath.
- Good Food. People need healthy food in order to preserve their health. Just like that you need to give your dog food that is easy to digest.
- Oral Hygiene. You need to brush your dog’s teeth every day. Make sure you buy toothpaste for dogs, because the toothpaste people use can upset dog’s system.
- Hard Chew Toys. This is something you probably didn’t know, but the dog’s teeth are cleaned while he is chewing. You should buy him safe and hard chew toys.
- Chewing Antler Dog Chews. If you have an opportunity, give your dog an antler dog treat at least once a month. This is going to prevent tartar from building.
These are just some tips on how to prevent your dog from having bad breath but the most important thing is regular dental hygiene-take care of your dog’s teeth the same way you take care of yours.